Pharmacy Tech III 40 hours
GENERAL SUMMARY: Under general supervision of a pharmacist or supervisor and according to established policies and procedures, prepares and distributes medications and IV solutions, fills medication carts, maintains pharmacy and patient care drug stock, records and charges medications to the correct patient or location, and performs other related duties. Supports the pharmacists in meeting the pharmaceutical needs of patients.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Runs update lists for IV orders and asceptically prepares IV solutions for inpatient and outpatient areas, using proper aseptic technique. Properly labels all solutions. Prepares and labels bulk IV's. Cleans the IV hoods. Adheres to OSHA guidelines and safety procedures. Prepares chemotherapy drugs. Proper usage of computerized machinery used in compounding and formulating pharmaceutical products. Maintains a workflow ensuring proper and timely delivery of drug doses. Maintains all required records and documents.
2. Assures compliance with current regulatory standards in pharmacy and IV room (ie. The Joint Commission, USP 797/800). Coordinates and tracks completion of necessary technician guidelines as per regulatory and departmental standards. Provides input and feedback on changes needs to maintain/improve standard of care.
3. Maintains drug stock in pharmacy and patient care areas. Fills and delivers items as requisitioned. Delivers medications according to Pyxis usage reports and state regulations. Makes appropriate charges for all floors, units, and/or departments. Generates all required reports and fill sheets on a timely basis. Fills and exchanges medications for code carts. Maintains all required records and documents. Maintains a neat and clean environment in all medication storage areas.
4. Performs and documents assigned monthly unit inspections, including checking of code carts.
5. Assists in the purchasing functions, including maintaining adequate and proper inventory, ordering, storage, and receiving of medications and supplies. Assists in maintaining all required records and documents.
6.Communicates to pharmacists and/or pharmacy manager on matters requiring their attention.
7. Assists in other duties to support pharmacy as needed.
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE AND OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
1.High School diploma or equivalent. Basic mathematical skills. Attention to detail. Ability to handle and prioritize high work volume and multiple tasks.
2.Hospital and/or pharmacy technician and IV compounding experience required.
3. State certified technician (CPhT or PTCB) required
1.Frequent standing, reaching, and walking during normal course of work activities. May require lifting and carrying of moderate loads. Requires repetitive use of hands and fingers (e.g., use of a computer keyboard).
2.Potential for exposure to hazardous, toxic, and infectious substances. Required to follow all OSHA safety standards and techniques.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people assigned this job. They are not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, knowledge, skills and abilities associated with the job.
Primary Location: Framingham, MA
Hospital/Facility: MetroWest Medical Center
Shift Type: Days