Periop Nurse Educator Full Time
Periop Nurse Educator
Under the general direction of the Sr. Director of Perioperative Service, the Perioperative Nurse Educator is responsible for providing educational programming for orientees and nursing staff as well as patients and families. Develops, implements, and evaluates programs. Coordinates regular activities within the Perioperative Department. Performs associated administrative activities in the absence of the Director.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Teaching - Plans a course/aspect of a course which meets individual needs, interests, abilities, and learning styles of students. Procures and organizes materials, equipment, and supplies in advance and in readiness for use in class. Teaches toward the defined objectives of content. Designs activities, assignments, and testing appropriate to learning goals and anticipated student outcomes. Uses principles of adult learning in association with staff. Develops a classroom atmosphere conducive to active participation, creative expression, and learning styles of learners. Manages classroom in an effective manner.
2. Clinical Practice - Identifies specific strengths and weaknesses of learners. Acts as a resource for clinical practice. Conducts inservice education based upon recommendations from the Quality Improvement Committee/unit representatives, Education Council, Management, and needs assessments.
3. Research/Evaluation - Assesses and identifies relevant researchable clinical nursing problems with staff. Disseminates patient research developments in area of specialization. Evaluates the impact of various interventions on patient care and nursing practice. Uses current research in teaching, ensuring that content is current and reflects trends in the healthcare system.
4. Consultation/Communication - Collaborates with nursing and other healthcare professionals in the establishment of goals and implementation of the plan of care. Collaborates with management to facilitate the professional growth of staff. Provides leadership in the formulation of policies and procedures which are related to area of specialization. Participates in quality improvement programs related to area of specialization. Provides information and expertise in area of specialization. Responds to requests/concerns. Maintains effective interpersonal relationships with managers, support personnel, and learners.
5 Coordination of Educational Activities - Coordinates Childbirth Education programs. Ensures that supplies, A.V. materials, and room bookings are complete/scheduled. Makes rounds within the department on a regular schedule.
6. Collaborates with the Deans and Professors from the various technical colleges who use MWMC as a clinical teaching site.
7. Tissue Coordinator for the 2 Campuses. Oversees the compliance of regulations pertaining to the acquisition, receipt, storage, implantation, documentation, and recall of human tissue used at MWMC
8. BLS Instructor
OTHER JOB KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Master’s Degree in nursing specialty required.
- Current licensure to practice nursing in Massachusetts.
- Current BCLS and ACLS certification.
- Minimum of five years of teaching experience and evidence of clinical competence in area of instruction required.
- Patient care (when providing clinical instruction) and classroom environment.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people assigned this job. They are not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, knowledge, skills and abilities associated with the job.
Primary Location: Framingham, MA
Hospital/Facility: MetroWest Medical Center
Shift Type: Days