Nurse Practitioner Behavioral Medicine Per Diem Weekends
Adult/Family Nurse Practitioner
Per Diem- Mostly Saturdays
Metrowest Medical Center is seeking a per diem ANCC-board certified Nurse Practitioner for our Behavioral Medicine department. The successful candidate will hold current Massachusetts licensure as an advanced practice nurse with prescriptive authority. Responsibilities include performing admission histories/physicals and providing medical care for patients on the inpatient behavioral health units. The nurse practitioner will perform functions independently while remaining within the scope of practice. The nurse clinician will work in collaboration with staff physicians, house officers, nurses and other members of the medical care team to ensure that patient outcomes are achieved in a safe and efficient manner.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Documentation Abilities - Documents and reports clearly and concisely. Records appropriate information pertaining to patient histories and physicals and physician orders. Completes all medical record documentation in a timely manner. Possesses appropriate knowledge of hospital forms. Writes legibly with appropriate use of abbreviations.
2. Assessment Skills - Obtains necessary medical history, assuring accurate assessment of patient’s conditions/needs. Performs accurate and complete physical exams in accordance with established protocols. Integrates history and physical findings with clinical knowledge to adequately screen patients pre-procedure. Communicates medical assessment to patient and attending physician as needed. Incorporates the information from the unit-specific equipment manual in providing safe patient care. Provides care appropriate to the patient population.
3. Clinical Judgment and Decision Making - Assesses a situation, considers alternatives, and chooses appropriate course of action in accordance with delineation privileges. Reports all unusual circumstances to physician and seeks guidance and direction as necessary. Selectively orders only diagnostic tests pertinent to clinical situation. Interprets diagnostic tests appropriately. Instructs and counsels patients, taking into consideration the patient’s mental and physical condition. Functions in a calm manner during a stressful, emergency, or crisis situation. Practices within the scope of Delineation of Privileges and scope of Licensure.
4. Pre-procedure, Intra-procedure, and Post Procedure Duties – Performs comprehensive pre-procedure assessments and writes appropriate pre-procedure orders. Maintains up-to-date knowledge of all office equipment and procedures. Demonstrates competence in all routine office procedures. Works effectively with all office staff to ensure patient safety and comfort. Writes appropriate post procedure orders. Follows up on patient complications as appropriate. Completes all documentation in a timely fashion.
5. Clinical Resource for Staff, Preceptor Role, and Quality Assurance – Serves as clinical resource for staff. Provides staff training for new procedures and protocols as directed. Assists with the development of documentation and forms for procedures. Serves as preceptor for new mid-level staff. Provides direct training and supervision as needed. Ensures that competency documentation procedures are followed.
Graduate of an approved Nurse Practitioner program.
Must be ANCC Board Certified as either an Adult or Family Nurse Practitioner.
Massachusetts license for advanced practice nursing.
Massachusetts controlled substance registration. DEA License.
Primary Location: Natick, MA
Hospital/Facility: MetroWest Medical Center
Shift Type: Days