HIM Supv Main File
Reporting to the AssociateDirector of Health Information Management, the HIM Supervisor supervises allHealth Information Management functions at one of the Hospital’s satellitecampuses. Trains new employees. Directs employees’ work activities to maximizeproductivity. Monitors quality of work. ensures that budget expectations forthe Main File activities are met. Prepares schedules to ensure coverage offunctions. Conducts performance appraisals & disciplinaryprocedures. Performs retrieval, chart control and data correctionsfunctions. Performs medical record review functions including abstractingand preparation of reports.
Directs and supervises personnelfunctions:
· Directs work activities to maximize productivityand to ensure smooth work flow
· Conducts group meetings to ensure employees arewell informed
· Trains new employees
· Establishes personnel work schedules to ensurecoverage; authorizes vacation, holiday & sick time and monitors attendance
· Conducts annual performance appraisals & keepsemployees informed of the quality of their performance throughout the year.
· Conducts disciplinary actions when appropriate
· Monitors productivity and quality of work
Coordinates Purge Activities:
· Ensures that record purge activities are performedon an ongoing basis to ensure sufficient on-site storage of medical records.
· Coordinates purge activities to ensure record purgeis performed in an efficient and timely manner during off hours.
Coordinates & performs theactivities of Storage/Retrieval.
· Follows sign out procedures utilizing outguides.
· Signs incomplete records in and out of the chartcontrol system following established procedures.
· Ensures that all records are refiled in a timelymanner and that sorter is emptied according to established procedures.
· Files records in correct TD order.
· Files reports in correct medical records, matchesnames, billing number & dates of service.
· Ensures that reports are filed in the correctsection of the medical record.
· Ensures that records for the ER are pulled in atimely manner.
· Ensures that records for surveys are pulled forrequested dates.
· Ensures that records pulled for studies are placedin the appropriate location.
· Ensures that records pulled for patient care aresent to the appropriate areas.
· Maintains established productivity standards.
Coordinates Form CommitteeActivities
· Maintains the Forms Spreadsheet. Enters Form IDinto forms dictionary and placeholders in Meditech Forms Management.
· Assists with forms and assigns Form ID for newforms.
Assists in development andimplementation of new and revised systems and procedures
· Analyzes activities, recommends changes ormodifications to existing procedures and assists in developing new proceduresto meet identified needs.
· Implements new procedures, provides instructions toemployees.
Coordinates and performs theactivities required to maintain the Physician’s Incomplete Record/Chart ControlSystem
· Accurately enters deficiency data into system.
· Follows established procedures for updating usingphysician printout.
· Updates computer system following completion ofmedical records by physician, reassigns records as necessary and deletesphysicians who have completed assignment.
· Removes stickers and deficiency sheets when recordsare complete.
· Forwards records to appropriate areas after recordsare checked for completion.
· Explains record completion requirements tophysicians.
· Updates physician status in computer systemfollowing record completion.
· Updates computer with physician status changes forvacation, sick, etc.
· Coordinates all of the above to ensure smooth workflow.
Ensures integrity of PatientMaster Index database through performance of data corrections and doublemedical record number consolidations.
· Accurately determines if a double number reallyexists.
· Locates records.
· Ensures all visit information is contained in therecord before consolidating.
· Performs the consolidation function according toestablished procedures.
· Updates data in the computer system as appropriate.
· Accurately documents the corrections in the medicalrecord (e.g. single line through the error on face sheet).
· Places data correction sheet in the medical record.
· Sends records back to appropriate area (storage,main files).
· Updates the medical record folder cover ifapplicable.
Reviews medical records utilizingJCAHO standards, medical staff rules and regs, DPH standards, Medicare’sCOP and any other applicable documentation standards.
· Knowledgeable in documentation requirements.
· Accurately reviews medical records to determinecompliance with standards.
· Identifies clinicians responsible for documentationnon compliance.
· Prepares reports of findings ensuring that thefindings are accurate and the percentages of compliance are correct
Analyzes medical records forcompletion by physicians
· Follows Medical Staff Rules and Regulations,licensing and accrediting agency, JCAHO and MassPro guidelines to determineareas of the medical record which must be completed.
· Assigns completion responsibilities to correctphysician.
· Performs final analysis of the records completed byphysicians to ensure compliance with Medical Staff Rules and Regulations, andlicensing and accrediting agency guidelines.
· Maintains awareness of all changes in recordcompletion requirements and incorporates them into existing analysisprocedures.
· Informs staff in his/her area about changes inrecord completion requirements.
Coordinates the Suspensionprocess
Calls appropriate departments toinform them of any changes in the suspension list.
Release of Information
Performs release of informationduties when appropriate (e.g. medical emergencies when correspondence personnelare not available.
Maintains confidentiality of allpatient medical record and financial information
Adheres to hospital anddepartmental release of information and confidentiality policies.
Performs all other duties asrequested.
Responsible for day and eveningshift employees. Coordinates multiple functions performed by multipleindividuals. Accomplish objectives using management skills. Conductperformance appraisal activities. Conducts disciplinary procedures.
JOB REQUIREMENTS/ EXPERIENCE:
· Associate Degree in Health InformationManagement preferred. Minimum of high school education. Able to read,write and speak English.
· A minimum of 5 Years of experienceworking in a Health Information Department, with some experience in asupervisory and/or budgeting role preferred. Experience in operating PCs andsoftware programs with full proficiency.
· Knowledge of Medical Terminologyrequired
· RHIT preferred
· Effective speaking, reading and writingskills to utilize when interacting with other co-workers, departments, andclinicians
Ability to performall physical activities associated with filing and retrieval of medical records(lifting, carrying, bending and stretching). Physical Health sufficientto meet ergonomic standards and demands of the position.
Primary Location: Natick, MA
Hospital/Facility: MetroWest Leonard Morse Hospital
Shift Type: Days