Director of Behavioral Health Admissions & Emergency Referral Services Full Time
PURPOSE OF POSITION: The Director of Behavioral Health Admissions and Emergency Referral Services has responsibility for initial screening and admissions assignments for patients referred to the inpatient service line for MetroWest Medical Center and St. Vincent’s Hospital. The Director manages the flow of psychiatric patients from the emergency departments, medical floors and external referral sources. Additionally, the Director manages psychiatric emergency services staff providing assessments to patients in the Leonard Morse Hospital, Framingham Union Hospital, and St. Vincent’s Hospital (Worcester) emergency rooms. Director will oversee the coordination of inpatient admissions to Leonard Morse GTU, CDU, BH4 and H3 inpatient psychiatric units and will oversee the coordination of inpatient admissions to 32S - St. Vincent’s Hospital, Worcester. The Director will be responsible for the clinical supervision of LICSW’s, LCSW’s and LMHC’s on the emergency services. The Director will directly supervise the capitated Tufts Health Plan contract as well as oversee the initial UR processes for the entire Behavioral Health Service. The Director will emphasize the importance of rapid access and timely response to outside petitioners of Behavioral Health Services in the Metrowest Medical Center system and St. Vincent’s Hospital, Worcester/Tenet Healthcare.
- Directs inpatient and outpatient admission policies and practices. Reviews admitting department to ensure compliance with applicable standards. Works with medical, nursing and registration staff to ensure appropriate patient placement. Responsible for the hiring, training and supervision of all intake coordinator staff, social workers and mental health counselor technicians. Assumes 24/7 responsibility and accountability for the staffing and operational management of the departments. Maintains and analyzes referral data, market changes and referral satisfaction. Completes all required paperwork to ensure a smooth transition for the patient.
- Is responsible for verifying and obtaining all insurance authorizations for patients referred to the Leonard Morse and St. Vincent’s Hospital inpatients units. Will maintain an active working knowledge of insurance systems in order to facilitate timely verification of benefits.
- Is responsible for administrative contact with Mass Rev and originates individual user IDs and passwords for all staff involved with electronic contact with the Mass Rev’s website. Responsible for upgrading user ID’s and password data.
- Is responsible for working closely with St. Vincent’s CAT clinicians and apprises staff of change in census, insurance, MD/NP coverage and policies.
- Is responsible for working closely with the Executive Director of Behavior Medicine to develop and maintain procedures and policies and staff competencies.
- The Director will recruit clinically competent ERS staff to cover Framingham Union, Leonard Morse Hospital and St. Vincent Hospital emergency rooms for psychiatric emergencies.
- The Director will oversee and manage St. Vincent’s Hospital Crisis Assessment Team (CAT), MetroWest Natick ERS Team and Mental Health Counselor Technicians in Natick.
- The Director will work closely with both the upper management of CHL – Worcester Mass Health team and Advocates – PES – Natick/Framingham management to ensure flow of psychiatric patients in the Emergency Rooms.
- The Director will manage all inpatient psychiatric admissions to St. Vincent’s Hospital.
- The Director will maintain appropriate staffing levels 24/7 for ERS, CAT, MHC Technicians and Central Access.
- The Director will continually evaluate the clinical competencies of ERS and CAT staff, and provide educational opportunities to improve clinical performance.
- The Director complete all performance evaluations on ERS, CAT, Central Access and MHC Technicians staff according to MetroWest Medical Center/Tenet personnel policies
- The Director will provide staff supervision (clinical and administrative) to ERS, CAT, Central Access and MHC Technicians team.
- Monitor the development, timeliness and effectiveness of psychosocial assessments, discharge plans, case coordination and collaboration, and written documentation in conjunction with DMH and TJC standards.
- The Director will update and input Kronos for CAT, ERS, Central Intake and MHC technicians daily.
- The Director will be responsible for the Monthly calendar/Schedule for the CAT, ERS, Central Access and MHC Technician employees.
- LICSW, LMHC (or license eligible within 1 year), APRN, PSY.D., PhD in Behavioral Health
- Licensed by the State of Massachusetts at the highest level of independent clinical licensure.
- Five + years of progressively responsible management experience in a mental health setting, including supervision of clinical staff
- Knowledge of inpatient psychiatric settings-adult, geriatric and child
- Knowledge of DMH statutes pertaining to the involuntary commitment of mentally ill adults and children.
- Valid driver’s license
- Facility with Microsoft Office Outlook, Word, EXCEL
- Experience with Meditech and Medhost software
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and be able to interact with multidisciplinary clinicians.
- Must have excellent phone skills.
- Must be able to respond calmly and effectively in high pressure situations.
Primary Location: Natick, MA
Hospital/Facility: MetroWest Medical Center
Shift Type: Days