Clinical Coordinator FUH ICU
GENERAL SUMMARY: Under the direction of the director, assumes aleadership role in the overall functioning of the unit. An experienced Registered Nurse, who inaddition to providing direct patient care, is accountable for facilitating aninterdisciplinary approach to patient care, patient flow, staffing, resourceutilization, and problem solving. Assists the director in monitoring and evaluating staff performancebased on established standards of care.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists staff in applying the nursing process in the management of patients with complex needs.
- Demonstrates accountability for patient care delivery and promotes accountability among all staff.
- Promotes high work standards and quality performance of self and other staff members. Holds self and others accountable.
- Provides expert nursing care to a select group of patients. Acts as a resource to nursing staff and students.
- Supports and participates in collaborative rounding within an interdisciplinary framework of care
- Assists in identifying educational needs of the unit staff and works collaboratively with Professional Practice Department.
- Responds to changes in the internal and external environment that impact patient care
- Participates in annual competency development
- Up-dates nursing policies to reflect current practice
Patient andFamily Centered Care
- Demonstrates the principles of exceptional patient experience that has the following characteristics:
· Patient centered
· Safe, effectiveand timely
· Equitable andefficient
· Communication andshared information
· Partnership withpatient and family that enhances their independence and control
- Anticipates and solves patient clinical and customer service needs while addressing long term solutions
- Facilitates communication and collaboration with co-workers, other disciplines and other departments in identifying customer service needs.
- Ensures staff acknowledge the patients, makes amends and promotes service recovery.
- Implements action plans that will improve or enhance the patient experience.
- Conducts medical record reviews and patient care rounds to ensure that population specific care is delivered to patients.
- Provides and monitors staffing based on established budget.
- Coordinates unit based staffing assignments on a shift basis to achieve high quality and cost effective care.
- Demonstrates patient first and cost effective approach to patient care in terms of equipment, staff, supplies and all other resources.
- Anticipates staffing needs for subsequent shifts and makes necessary arrangements for coverage.
1. Accountable forthe coordination of care on the unit to achieve desired outcomes whiledelegating tasks and assigning care based on individual or group strengths andpotential.
2. Provides ongoingfeedback to Patient Care Director re: staff performance and gives input intoannual performance evaluations of nursing staff.
3. Holds staffaccountable to practice according to established standards
1. In collaborationwith Security assures safety andsecurity of staff, patients and others.
2. Assists in unitimplementation of No Pass Zone, GEMBA and other LEAN initiatives.
3. Monitors clinicalpractice and addresses safety regarding nursing practice, environment and equipment.
4. Participates inenvironment of care rounding in addition to Tracers
5. Familiar withservice line metrics/dashboards in striving to provide safe and appropriatecare along with best practices
6. Conducts randomaudits on new nursing work flows, nursing documentation, and new programs
7. Holds staffaccountable for reporting unsafe practices using established MWMC channels
- Champions new initiatives and helps in unit/departmental or hospital wide committees/task forces.
- Supports opportunities for professional growth and development of staff
- Supports and participates actively as a member of the Shared Governance model
- Supports and is involved with the Preceptor Program, developing our nurses of the future
- Participates in orientee/preceptor conferences
- Responds to requests for assistance regarding educational needs
- Communicates with Professional Practice Department re: educational and developmental needs of staff
- Maintains responsibility for personal professional growth and development.
- Demonstrates effective 2 way conversation with staff.
Current licensure as aRegistered Nurse in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Associates Degree/Diplomawith certification in area of specialization or matriculation in a BSN program,BSN preferred
2 years of clinical nursingpractice
Proficient with customer service principles and patient and familycentered care
Excellent verbal communication skills and evidence of collaborativepractice (SBAR)
Demonstrates excellent teamwork and collaboration and maintainshigh standards of professional
Understanding of JCAHO and regulatory standards
Primary Location: Framingham, MA
Hospital/Facility: MetroWest Medical Center
Shift Type: Days