Certified Tumor Registrar Per Diem
Certified Tumor Registrar
Hours available up to 3 days/week (mostly week days)
Under general direction of the Director, Oncology Services, and according to established objectives and procedures, codes and abstracts tumor data, follows up on cancer patients, and performs long and short term patient care evaluation studies. Responsible for the maintenance of the registry for ACOS accreditation.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. In accordance with American College of Surgeons and National Cancer Society guidelines, maintains registry files and logs of all Hospital cancer cases. Conducts annual lifetime follow-up on patients in the Cancer Registry by contacting physician or patient. Enters all follow-up information into computerized registry system in a timely manner.
2. Codes and abstracts cancer-related data (i.e., summarizes patient's hospital record including demographic data, diagnostic procedures, date of diagnosis, histological diagnosis, and treatment). Reports all new cancer cases to the Cancer Incidence Registry of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts through the computerized registry system.
3. Assists the Cancer Committee in the performance of Cancer Program activities. Records minutes of meetings, arranges conferences, and performs studies as requested. Conducts long and short term patient evaluation studies. Prepares regular and special statistical reports and analyses. Prepares annual report of activity.
4. Compiles requests for data from the registry on cancer patient population and related statistics for Hospital planning, administration, and any internal healthcare related department.
5. In consultation with supervisor and ACOS guidelines, develops tumor registry standards and goals. Remains abreast of developments in the field of tumor registry by pursuing a program of self development and participating in educational and research activities of the National Tumor Registrar Association.
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE, AND OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
1. Level of knowledge equivalent to that ordinarily acquired through completion of an Associate's Degree in medical record technology or nursing.
2. Must be a Certified Cancer Registrar.
3. Six to twelve months of experience.
1. Office environment.
2. Frequent walking, standing, and bending during normal course of duties. Concentrated effort required while using computer terminals and typing.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people assigned this job. They are not exhaustive lists of all duties, responsibilities, knowledge, skills, and abilities and working conditions associated with the job.
Primary Location: Natick, MA
Hospital/Facility: MetroWest Medical Center
Shift Type: Days